(Character study): Jerric, looking for the main character

lunes, 7 de marzo de 2011

("Calvin" of 'Calvin & Hobbes'. Bill Watterson. 1985-1995)
REFERENCE:
{"Calvin & Hobbes"}
For the design of the main character of my final project, I was researching a lot of examples of kids, comic books and graphic novels. Like I told before, my most important referent was Calvin, he little boy made by Bill Watterson, because he has a big fantasy and his best friend is a Tiger.
{"Little Nemo in Slumberland"}
("Little Nemo" of 'Little Nemo in Slumberland'. Winsor McCay.1905-1911)

{"Little Nemo in Slumberland"}
After, in my first months here, I discovered Little Nemo, other important referent because is a kid who's always dreaming, like my main character.
("Bardín, el superrealista". 'Max' Francesc Capdevila. 2006)

("La biblioteca de Turpín". 'Max' Francesc Capdevila. 1990)

{Francesc Capdevila "Max" is a spanish illustrator and artist from Barcelona (1957). Is a speciallist in illustration, design and story. He made famous stories like "La biblioteca de Turpín" or the character "Bardín". Is very famous because his stories are different, very original and he has differents styles. Sometimes he makes a childhood work, and others an adult comicbooks.}
But I had other referents, like the characters of my spanish favourite illustrator, MAX (Joan Capdevila): “Bardín, el surrealista” y “La biblioteca de Turpín”. I like his simple style, very personal and original.
("Las aventuras de Marco Antonio y Cleopatra". Mique Beltrán. 1996)

Other referent was the comic-book “Las aventuras de Marco Antonio y Cleopatra”, because is a typical cartoon design very funny and simple, but always works, making very funny adventures.
MY OWN WORK. SKETCHES:

So, I was working in a lot of examples and sketches, looking for the final character. Was a very long way, because I was looking for the best character as possible.

When I had a main idea, I was working in different sizes, hair, eyes, … Until I choose one, very similar to me, and this is importanto too, because the character needs to have one part of me.



His name is Jerric, that means “the ruler” and “strong of mind”.


0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario